Thursday, January 26, 2012

{ Sewing 101 }

For Christmas this year I got a sewing machine from my mom.  She sewed dresses for Terri and I when we were little and our Halloween costumes and now having a little girl there are visions of sundresses dancing in my head...partially thanks to Pinterest (love).  Anyway, Terri and my mom live two hours away so who was going to teach me how to actually use this thing?  I made a pillow once when I was 8 years old for 4-H and once again in high school Home Ec so it had been a while!  Ironically there was a class offered at the local community college and I always look at these classes from the college, park district and Y and think about taking them, but now with my new sewing machine I had to...had to prove Jake wrong that I would use this thing!  

Our first class was very basic.  We loaded the thread and bobbin and practice sewing on paper in a straight line and circles.  Even idiots could do this.  Scratch that, it was a challenge :-)  We were suppose to get fabric for our project for the following week in which we would make a pillowcase.  I went to JoAnn fabrics last week.  Once with Alyssa and once without.  That girl loves to wander and did not allow me to focus on the task at end.  I even saw her eat a Cheerio right off the floor...GROSS.  At least I am certain it was her Cheerio and had JUST dropped from her cup, but after that we had to go.  (Angie, I know you are cringing at the thought of that).  Once I went back I LOVED a very mod, boy print fabric. So I have a girl...I had to get it.

And VIOLA, last night I made a pillowcase AND it fits a pillow...I did it right.  It was very simple and was so proud of myself.  Next week we start our bag/tote which requires another trip shopping with Alyssa...minus the Cheerios this time, just in case :-)



2 comments: